Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Don't stop your climb!

KAMI

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin said, “We are faced with a choice. We can trust in our own strength, or we can journey to higher ground and come unto Christ.”

Three months ago everyone in this building was given a choice. This celebration asked each of us to sacrifice our time and our talents for this one night. It is humbling for me to look out at all of you and realize that despite the inconvenience the rehearsals may have been to you, you made the choice to participate and join in on an opportunity to draw closer to the Savior.

For the past few weeks I have been thinking about what it means to "Come Up to the Mountain". The main question I always end up asking myself is how am I supposed to get myself up to the Mountain?

My experiences with mountains haven’t always been positive. A few years ago I had the opportunity to draw closer to nature and hike Mount Timpanogas. Nature and I are acquaintances but I have never had a desire to get to up close and personal let alone go on a 12 hour hike. I did nothing to prepare before hand. The only time I really appreciated the beauty surrounding me was when I looked at the pictures afterwards. I got to the top, had reached my goal and couldn’t wait to get back to the bottom and my comfort zone.

During the Draper Temple Open House the full-time missionaries stopped by my house and wondered if there was anyone I knew who I could share the gospel with. For the past few months I had been having promptings to talk to my cousin who is not a member of our church. I mentioned this to the Elders, and told them that I was afraid to talk to him because I didn’t want to make our cousinship uncomfortable. Elder Kemmer then told me something that has had a lasting impact. He said, “There is no growth in our comfort zones.”

I hope we aren’t thinking of Friday night as I thought of Mount Timpangos. I wanted it to be over before it even started. Friday night will be a night when we all get out of our comfort zones, because trust me it’s not comfortable standing in front of 10,000 people. I promise you that whatever you put into this performance you will get out of it. A testimony rarely comes through one grand experience. A testimony comes from a combination of the little experiences. If you want it to grow, you have to do the work. You have to put forth a sincere effort.

After this weekend this celebration will be over, and you won’t hear the words "Come Up to the Mountain” as often. I ask all of you not to stop your climb though! Keep moving forward. If the climb gets difficult, lean on the Savior. [You] can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth [you]. (Philippians 4:13).

The climb will only get easier as we draw closer to Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I am so exited for the temple celebration

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know i cant bieleve it is today YAY!

    ReplyDelete