Friday, April 17, 2009

Where we need to be

HEATHER

The temple is an amazing place to be.

Not long ago, I had an experience that helped me see why we need to COME UP TO THE MOUNTAIN and how beneficial it is.

A good friend and myself had signed up for a Stake Temple day time together. The only time we could both take time for baptisms for the dead was in the morning...during school. And we had an unexpected blizzard (this is Utah, after all).

Being as she and I couldn't drive yet (some would argue that this is still the fact, in my case), my mom offered to give us a ride from the school to the Temple and back to school. Mom set out early to the school in the relentless flurries to ensure our safe and timely arrival at the temple. After making it to the school, and finally getting us out of class, it turned out that we were running behind (because of the blizzard!)

Mom drove carefully through the blinding storm to the Temple. Surprisingly, we were three minutes early! Thanking my still-puzzled Mom, my good friend and I hustled inside the temple.

At the sign-in desk stood a lady, looking desperate and a little confused as she discussed something with the clerk. She'd brought two more names than she could handle and was asking what she could do just as my friend and I walked up. The clerk turned to us with a kind smile and asked if we would mind taking care of these two names. I would have said "yes" anyway, but I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to do this; not for either the clerk or the woman, but for that person whose name was on the paper...that person waiting beyond. This is when I truly came to appreciate the miracle of baptisms for the dead.

The Temple is where we need to be....to bring the dead, as well as the living, unto Christ.

3 comments:

  1. I love going to do baptisms w/ my best friend too!
    I still cant beleive its still snowing here even if it's UT! lol :)
    LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO kidding! I think that going to do baptisms with a best friend wouldbe really fun, and a really neat experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Heather! Your experience strenthens me and my desire to go to the temple. You are awesome.
    JJ

    ReplyDelete