Saturday, March 28, 2009

I will never forget...

TOMMY

I don't know how many of you were able to experience the Draper Temple dedication, but for those that did, I'm positive that it is an experience you will not soon forget. Those beautiful white buildings set up on the hill where we can serve the Lord are the reason for this Temple Celebration!
I won't forget the feeling of seeing our beloved prophet in white and how humbly he asked the Lord to accept this house. I will never forget the Hosanna shout. While talking to my little sister she confessed that it seemed "interesting" but I pointed out that this is what the pioneers did when the Kirtland Temple was dedicated. It has been done ever since. That moment of praising God has only happened 119 times in history...and YOU were part of it! Billions of people around the globe were completely unaware that a celebration of the highest priority was taking place. It's my wish that they all experience it someday.

The words that the apostles and prophet said seemed like they were aimed directly towards me. They encouraged me to climb higher and "come up to the mountain of the Lord"...and better myself to that I may enter the Lord's house.

But, one event that I will never forget was when the entire congregation stood up and sang "The Spirit of GOd". To know that angels have visited the earth while this song was being sung made me shiver...but in a good way :). My life, like the rest of yours has been very complicated lately. Worrying about tests and school, my family and home, drama at school, and that one cute girl that I wish would say "hi" to me...but these seemingly big cares were washed away with the calm feeling of the spirit as we lifted our voices in "The Spirit of God". I thought for a minute of God's eternal plan, how I would one day live high above the clouds and always feel joy in my heart. How small my other worries were! My Heavenly Father blessed me right then and there and let me know that everything was okay. I remembered a quote: "It will be alright in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."
THIS is why we build temples! This is why we are making a big deal about this Celebration...too have this feeling of peace, love and joy! I can't wait to feel it again soon.
For those who were not able to attend the dedication, you are in luck! The new Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication is in a few months. I would encourage everyone to attend that they may feel what the Lord has to offer them.
I love this gospel, and I want wait to start the Lord's work in our new temples!

5 comments:

  1. I also felt the shivers when we were singing the Spirit of God, and it reminded me of when the pioneers must have sang it at the Kirtland Temple Dedication. I kind of felt a connection with them, it was really an overwhelming experience, and I won't ever forget it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy Tautkus!!! I love your guts! Stay cool!
    -Corey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like the billions of people that didn't get to experience this great event to someday have that chance. That's why missionary work is so important. I work hard everyday to live the gospel and do missionary work by my example. We don't have to have a badge and a suit to be a missionary! You never know who's watching you, so always get caught being a good example!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, the Hosanna Shout has been repeated at the 129 temple dedications, plus the re-dedication of a few temples, plus the dedication of the Conference Center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tommy, that was so inspirational! Thank you so much! I know that this is what we're meant to do and that we need to continue the Lord's work. This celebration will forever change many people's lives. Thank you for all of your inspirational words. :)
    Mikaela

    ReplyDelete